The Corvette L’Aurore and its Model
The corvette L’Aurore was built in 1766-7 in Le Havre, to test marine chronometers submitted by the Parisian clockmaker Le Roy for the Academie des Sciences prize. She was paid for by the Marquis de Courtanvaux and was fitted out to a luxurious standard. She made two short cruises in the Channel and North Sea, which contributed to Le Roy winning the prize, but the ship itself was paid off and sold to the crown in 1769. However, the Marquis also commissioned a highly detailed one-twelfth scale model, which he gave to the Abbey of St Genevieve. This fine model survived the Revolution and other events and in 1930 was still in the museum of the same name.