Shipbuilding in Ipswich 1700-1750

By A.G.E. Jones, published November 1957

Abstract

Ipswich was a town which experienced great changes in the fortunes of shipbuilding between circa 1700 and 1750. The town was dependent on the Newcastle coal trade and the patronage of the Navy Board. After a busy period up to 1673, decay set in quickly. In 1710 the fortunes of Ipswich improved when a recovery in shipbuilding resulted from the end of the war, the improvement in the shipping of coal and population growth in the town. The outbreak of the War of Jenkin’s Ear in 1739 resulted in more orders from the Navy Board. However, after 1776 larger vessels were constructed at King’s Yard in Harwich.

Join Today To Read The Full Article

Filed under: Spanish Succession | Austrian Succession | North Sea | Other (location)
Subjects include: Administration | Harbours & Dockyards | Navies | Shipbuilding & Design

Join Today To Read The Full Article

Join Now

If you are already a member please login here.