Reply To: Barricado or Barricade?

Home Forums Nautical Research: 1500 – 1830 Barricado or Barricade? Reply To: Barricado or Barricade?

Malcolm H

    Dear Sir,
    In ‘Falconer’s New Universal Dictionary of the Marine, 1815 Edition’ page 34 states that a “BARRICADE, (barricade, Fr. barricada, Span.)a strong wooden rail, supported by stanchions, extending across the foremost part of the quarter-deck: the upper part, which contains a double rope-netting, above the rail, is stuffed with full hammocks, to intercept the motion, and prevent the execution of small shot, in the time of battle.
    Malcolm Holden.