Victorian Hulks under the White Ensign
In the late nineteenth century the Royal Navy had little shore accommodation for officers and men. Wooden hulks served as naval barracks, depots, guardships and training establishments. Twenty four of the hulks had been sea-going ships-of the-line. There were also several obsolete frigates. The article describes the sea-going careers, locations and functions of many of the hulks. Among those included are Britannia and Hindostan (used for officer training), Excellent and Calcutta (a gunnery school), the frigates Vernon and Ariadne (a torpedo school) and St Vincent, Boscawen, Impregnable, Implacable, Lion and Ganges (seamen boy training). Several photographs are included. The writer of the article joined Britannia in 1875.