William Scamp and his Early Naval Works in the Mediterranean
The architect William Scamp (1801–72) was chief assistant to the Director of Admiralty Works 1845–52 then Deputy Director 1852–67. In 1841 he built for the Royal Navy a new steam-powered bakery at Malta, with iron stanchions and ceiling support joists on all three storeys, and completed the church of St Paul. In 1844 he started to build a dry dock, the first in a foreign yard, with attendant workshops (completed 1847). In 1841–45 he also repaired the sea wall at Gibraltar and designed an extension to the mole. Later he was involved with docking facilities and a commercial port at Malta and industrial buildings, the mole, and the completion of the sea wall at Gibraltar.